, Thailand

Thailand's Gulf Energy and Mitsui to start working on 2.5GW combined-cycle power plant

About $1.5b will be invested in the project.

Thailand's energy producer Gulf Energy Development (Gulf) and the Public Japanese conglomerate Mitsui have agreed to start works on the 2,500MW Chonburi combined-cycle (CCGT) power plant in the Chonburi province of Thailand before the end of 2018. Approximately JPY170b ($1.5b) will be invested in the project, which will include four units of 625 MW each slated to become gradually operational between March 2021 and October 2022. The four M701JAC gas turbines will be supplied by Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems (MHPS) as per a contract signed in February 2018.

The produced power will be sold over a 25 year period to the domestic electricity company EGAT. Mitsui will hold a 30% in the project while Gulf Energy will retain the remaining 70%. The plant will burn natural gas, including imported LNG through a long-term gas sale agreement signed previously with state-run PTT Public Company.

This article was originally published by Enerdata.

Join Asian Power community
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!

Exclusives

Summit Power International provides vital LNG support to Bangladesh
Without cross-border electricity supply, LNG is needed by a country facing geographical constraints to deploy renewables.
Power Utility
PLN focuses digital processes on equitable electricity distribution
State-run firm’s president succeeded in electrifying 76,900 villages and sub-districts throughout Indonesia.
VOX POP: How can vehicle-to-grid technologies boost energy transition?
Vehicle-to-grid (V2G) technology is seen as a groundbreaking innovation towards the resilience of the power grid and the improvement of robust energy transition.