Indonesia's mega power plant project now 45% complete
PLN has so far completed only about 45 percent of the Indoensian government's first phase of power mega project.
The production capacity that has been built has reached 4,500 MW out of a total of 10,000 MW.
"Roughly 45 percent has been connected, while the rest, about 55 percent, will be hooked up between the end of 2012 and 2013," said Harry Jaya Pahlawan, PLN's director of operations for western Indonesia.
He estimates that another 3,000 MW will enter the system by the end of the year.
"For distribution in Sumatra, we hope that the Nagan Raya, Tarakan and Teluk Siri power plants will begin operations shortly, "he added.
The first and second phases of the 10,000 MW fast track power plant projects are due for completion by 2014.
However, current delays are expected to push the completion date to 2018, he said.
Harry admitted that renewable sources of energy accounted for only a small portion of PLN's power generating capacity and hopes that in the next two years, some 15 to 20 percent of power plants will use renewable energy.