, Australia

New NSW 150MW/300MWh battery system completes construction

It can provide power to 240,000 homes.

The new major battery system in New South Wales with a 150-megawatt (MW) capacity has finished construction, according to the Federation Asset Management and Edify Energy.

In a joint statement, the companies said the Riverina and Darling Point energy storage systems can run for up to two hours of peak demand and provide total energy output of 300MW-hours (MWh), powering 240,000 homes in the National Electricity Market.

The facility is composed of three independent but co-located units with all output supplied for 10 years to Shell Energy and Energy Australia.

The Riverina Energy Storage System 1 has a 60MW/120MWh capacity with the output contracted to Shell Energy, whilst the 65MW/130MWh Riverina Energy Storage System 2 output is pre-sold to Energy Australia.

READ MORE: US, Australia amongst leading battery systems market: report

Meanwhile, the 25MW/50Mwh Darling Point Energy Storage System has its output contracted to Energy Australia with grant funding from the Australian Renewable Energy Agency and the NSW Government as part of the Emerging Energy Programme.

The new facility is “one of the largest and most advanced batteries” in the state as it uses the Tesla Megapack systems.

Federation has 90% interest in the project whilst the remaining 10% is held by Edify.

Follow the link for more news on

Join Asian Power community
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!


Southeast Asia at the forefront of coal phase-out in power plants
Amidst the challenges of eliminating coal in the region’s energy mix, ASEAN Taxonomy Board paves way for sustainable financing for phase-out.
Power Utility
SMRs may deliver their climate promise too little, too late 
As these nuclear reactors are still in development, their wide deployment is unlikely, analysts say. 
How grid enhancements can ignite Malaysia's solar energy boom
Experts warn that grid enhancements will be crucial for the solar energy mix, which accounted for 18% of the country's RE.