News
POWER UTILITY | Staff Reporter, India
view(s)

India added 8.26GW of solar in 2018

Solar accounted for over half of India’s capacity additions for the first time.

India added 8,263MW or 8.26GW in new large-scale and rooftop solar capacity in 2018, Mercom Capital Group revealed in a report. For the first time, solar accounted for more than 50% of new power capacity added in India.

Installations declined by 15% YoY but total installations were still the second largest to date in a year. Large-scale installations in 2018 accounted for 6,608MW.

In 2018, rooftop installations totaled 1,655 MW a strong 66% YoY growth.

Meanwhile, the fourth quarter of 2018 saw 1.64GW of new additions, up 3% from the 1.58GW installed during Q3 2018. Approximately 2.9 GW of solar projects were auctioned.

Large-scale projects accounted for 75% of the total installation and rooftop made up the other 25%. Rooftop installations declined in Q4 2018 reaching approximately 400MW.

Andhra Pradesh was the top installer of large-scale solar in the fourth quarter closely followed by Madhya Pradesh, Mercom Capital added. 

Do you know more about this story? Contact us anonymously through this link.

Click here to learn about advertising, content sponsorship, events & rountables, custom media solutions, whitepaper writing, sales leads or eDM opportunities with us.

To get a media kit and information on advertising or sponsoring click here.